Quick Oatmeal

A recipe to make your own 'instant oatmeal' packets.

This recipe makes 10 servings of oatmeal. I usually make 2 plain, 2 apple, 3 raisin, and 3 brown sugar. Let me know if you've made other variations -- I'd love to try 'em out!

Basic mix:

3 1/3 cup (800 ml) old-fashioned rolled oats, pulsed in a food processor 4 times
2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
1-2 tsp (5-10 ml) salt, or to taste

After mixing the ingredients above in a large bowl, remove the amount you want to use for bowls of plain oatmeal and of apple oatmeal. One serving is 1/3 cup (80 ml). I place mine in individual-serve plastic baggies which I reuse for this purpose every week.

The plain oatmeal baggies are done. For the apple oatmeal baggies, spoon 1/3 cup (80 ml) of the oat mixture plus 1 Tbsp (15 ml) sugar and ~3 Tbsp (~40 ml) dried apples into each.

The remaining bowl will be divided into brown sugar and raisin oatmeal packets. Multiply the number of brown sugar and raisin oatmeal packets you want by 15ml (1 Tbsp). Mix this much brown sugar into the main bowl. Spoon 1/3 cup (80 ml) into each brown sugar baggie.

The remaining mix in the bowl is for your raisin oatmeal packets. Add ~3 Tbsp (~40 ml) raisins per raisin packet you want to make. Divide the mix evenly between the raisin oatmeal baggies, beginning with 1/3 cup (80 ml) per bag and using a spoon to roughly distribute leftovers.

Your packets are ready!

To use:

1. I've never measured how much liquid I add, and I everyone I know uses a different amount. What I do is pour one or two packets into a bowl. I then pour milk (I like a creamier oatmeal; my husband uses water) into the bowl until the oats are covered.

2. Microwave for 2 minutes, check and stir. Depending on how thin or thick you like your oatmeal, you can continue to microwave for additional 30 seconds until you like the consistency. I prefer to add more liquid in the first step and microwave longer in this step because it makes the oats very soft. For crisper oats, you can add less liquid in step 1 and microwave just 2 minutes in step 2. I think this option makes crusty goo. My husband likes it.

After a time or two of making these for breakfast, you'll figure out how much liquid you like and how long you should microwave it for your preferred consistency. Enjoy your quick, warm breakfast!!

...and you?

Variations? Questions? Preferences? Suggestions? What are your instant-oatmeal ideas? I'd also love to see other quick breakfast ideas, questions about how this idea works, and anything else.

Don't forget to comment to enter January's giveaway: Layla Legs!