Want to lessen your impact on the environment (and, likely, your utility bills), but not sure where to begin? Try these tips to start living more sustainably - today.


How can you start living more sustainably - today? I’ve brainstormed and listed my top 5 simple ideas... and I’m not the only one! If you want to make some simple changes today that make an impact on tomorrow, read on:

My Top Five
1. Be more active! Playing badminton, going for walks, and other outdoor activities require energy from you, not your powerlines! Replace TV and video game time with a walk after dinner tonight.
2. Unplug phantom energy sources - Many appliances, including computers and television sets, use electricity even if you aren't using them. Unplug them to ensure you aren’t using unnecessary power.
3. Use both sides of paper - A no-brainer? When writing on a full page of paper, I only like to use one side, so I used to throw it away half-unused. Now, however, I’ve found I can maintain the neat appearance when initially using the page, and make use of the other side later.
4. Turn off water - You’ve been told since you were a kid, but it’s still a good reminder: don’t leave water running when you’re brushing your teeth or doing other things that don’t need the water that moment.
5. Hang a clothesline - Even if you’re not ready to go 100% dryer-free, you can start by hanging towels, linens, cleaning cloths, etc. Or find a clothes-rack and an empty space in your apartment - you can air-dry indoors, too (I do it every day)!

Other Top Lists As I worked on my list, I realized bloggers and sites all over were posting lists to help you start living sustainably! Here are the lists I liked best.
1. Blissfully Domestic
2. Lighter Footstep
3. Life Less Plastic
4. Tree Hugger
5. 50 Ways to Help

...and you?

What’s your sustainability top 5? What do you think of these lists? Criticisms accepted :-), as well as stories of newly-found sustainable lifestyles, which may be featured in later posts.

As always, relevant photos (with a link to this post in the photo description or as a comment) welcome at our flickr group... photos with Creative Commons licensing may be featured in future articles with a link to any of your websites you’d like to promote!