Swimming in unused beauty products that cost too much? Spending your shower time digging through bottles of products, many of which seem to do the same thing? Decide what you really need, and next time you’re shopping, keep your list short!

Beauty product aisles baffle me. I turn one way to a wall of liquids that will make my hair shine; behind me are shelves of scented lotions. If I pause for a moment’s thought, a helpful salesclerk is at my side, praising the advantages of the more expensive brand.

Fellow advocates of sustainable living often recommend choosing personal care products with a simpler ingredient list. Many companies offer “natural” products. I could give you dozens of recipes to make your own shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and lotions.

At the end of the day, though, whether filled with name-brand, all-natural, or homemade products, a cluttered shower is neither visually appealing nor very efficient.

I asked other simple living and green living bloggers, “If you could have just 3 beauty or health products in your shower, what would remain?”, and compiled the overall results:

1. shampoo
2. soap
3. nothing!

I was surprised, but most people either already use only soap and shampoo (forgoing conditioner and shaving with either the soap or shampoo), or decided that once they got rid of a bunch of stuff, they really didn't need a 3rd item. I'll share about my own shower in a future post.

Popular brands include Korres, Burt's Bees, and your local Farmer's Market sellers!

...and you?

What about all the other stuff? Cremes, conditioners, gels, butters, salts, cleansers, and so on? Why do we have them; are they necessary? What are your 3-to-keep's?

6 comments:

Great idea for a blog -- glad you commented on my DC Metro Moms post (did you make your DH some velcro, attachable pockets?!). I agree with the less is more in the shower philosophy altho for now I am in "use up random bottles of shampoo for an eternity" rather than "no-poo" mode. Looking fwd to checking out your archives!

JessTrev said...
September 24, 2008 7:50 PM  

Thanks for your welcome comment! It'll always be remembered as the first comment our blog got!

When I moved in with my boyfriend I watched in terror how my beauty supplies piled up. I took them all with me, but made a commitment to use them up (not throwing them away!) and then backing up.
I have to admit I LOVE the beauty aisles at the store, but I want to make an effort to cut back to shampoo, conditioner, body milk (here I'm splurging, Neutrogena is the only one working on my skin!) and that's about it.

Anonymous said...
September 24, 2008 8:46 PM  

Thanks mamabird! I'm actually considering cutting out the non-denim portion of the pockets and relining them with a (large!) piece of fabric instead. Something sturdy that won't need mending every year, too!

And I agree with YOUR use of random bottles of shampoo; I was in this mode for awhile before they were used up. No sense in throwing out what we already have; I just hope to not buy as much next time I run out of something I currently use! (I'm in this mode with deodorant right now. I've found baby powder works fine!)

Thanks for commenting!

Lori Ann said...
September 24, 2008 8:48 PM  

Gracia ~ Your blog's beautiful! I might add that the beauty aisles could repel me less if my allergies didn't act up every time I walk near them :-)

Lori Ann said...
September 24, 2008 9:43 PM  

Hi Lori Ann,
I saw that you were looking for more information on the Little People swaps for children. If you would like to be notified about future swaps, you can e-mail megandmag@gmail.com
Our next swap will begin in late January, I think.
BTW, my top three shower necessities would be shampoo, soap and the occassional facial scrub.

MegandMag said...
September 25, 2008 7:05 AM  

Thanks for the info, MegandMag. I don't have kids (yet!), but will keep the idea in mind for the future! :)

Thanks for sharing your showering #3!

Lori Ann said...
September 25, 2008 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment